This book has been published and exclusively distributed by IDW in February 2013, as a "Red Label" edition in their "IDW Limited" line. In this line, there are three labels in my understanding, Red (a few hundred of signed copies), Black and Blue (limited to a few copies each and displaying other exclusive incentives). There are no Black or Blue Label associated with this book.
This limited edition comes with a custom designed slipcase comprising an exclusive hardcover portfolio along with the main oversized hardcover book (ISBN 978-1-61377-488-5, 125$, 316 pages and 12.3 x 9.5 inches or 31.5 x 24 cm for the main book). This collection is designed by Robbie Robbins and edited by Justin Eisinger.
Let's begin with the main book. I'm not sure what is the meaning of the #1 on the spine for this book seems to reprint all of the Judge Dredd strips drawn by Brian Bolland. Below, the book is compared in size with a current 2000 AD copy (note that most of the strips dated when the magazine was published in a slightly larger size):
The book displays a red satin ribbon bookmark and a tracing paper overlay for the title page. This is a signed (both Brian Bolland and John Wagner) hand numbered and limited edition (350 copies, mine being #196). Second and third of cover are identical.
|above and below two pictures showing the tracing paper overlay|
The books starts with a 2 pages introduction by Brian Bolland. From time to time strips are separated with gray shades endpages. Note that due to the obvious editor intention, new reader will discover only parts of a whole stories, or even only two pages of a 6 pages strip. Along with the Judge Dredd strips, this book also collects thirteen "Walter the Wobot Fwiend of Dwedd" one page strips drawn by Brian Bolland and scripted by Joe Collins. You will find the complete list of reprinted strips at the end of this article.
|the quality of original material sources varies between the strip|
|a full colour strip from 2000ad annual 1982 is included|
There is a comprehensive 47 pages gallery section at the end of the book, followed by a two pages strip credits.
|two virgin covers|
Now here is the hardcover portfolio:
It contains twelve A4 lithographs with illustration already displayed in the main book, and share the same back credit page:
There is video description of the book here.
Detailed content of the main book:
- Judge Dredd: prog #41, 47, 50, 51, 52, 57, 58 (2 first pages only), 75, 79, 80, 81, 82, 86, 87, 94, 95, 98, 101, 102, 110, 120, 122, 123, 127, 149, 150, 151, 156, 162, 172, 173, 182, 224, 225, the Four Dark Judges Postergraph, 226, 227, 228, 244, annual 1982
- Walter The Wobot: prog #52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 67, 68
- Color prog covers: #82, 98, 105, 134 (B&W), 146, 156 (B&W), 161 (B&W), 172 (B&W), 173 (B&W), 182 (B&W), 197, 199 (B&W), 210, 216 (B&W virgin), 224, 225, 236 (splash), 240, 403, 848 (virgin), prog 2000 (B&W virgin), 1505 (virgin),
- 1983 Eagle Comics series B&W covers: #1 (+ back cover), 2, 3 (virgin), 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 21 (part virgin), 23, 26, 29, 32 (virgin)
- 1985 Eagle Comics 2000 AD Monthly B&W covers: #1, 5 (virgin)
- Judge Dredd's Crime File B&W covers: #1 (virgin), 3 (virgin)
- Dark Horse Predator vs Judge Dredd Series B&W covers: #1( virgin)
- Miscelaneous: color illustration dated 5/11/2012 "Crusade and the Frankenstein Division"
- B&W pin-up: Judge Dredd, Fergee (from prog #107), Tweak (from prog #83) and 4 others I can't reference.
- 1983 Eagle Comics series B&W covers: #1, 3 (virgin), 9, 32 (virgin)
- Judge Dredd's Crime File B&W covers: 3 (virgin)
- B&W pin-up: Fergee (from prog #107)
- Four excerpts from the strips from prog #70 (opening splash page), prog #225 (right half of the open splash page), prog #227 (frames from pages 5 and 6)
- B&W prog covers for prog 2000
- One Judge Dredd B&W illustration I can't reference (see the right side of the last picture above).