Published in December 2016 by DC (ISBN: 978-1-4012-6506-9, 11 x 7.5 inches or 28 x 19 cm, 80 pages, cover price $17.99), this deluxe edition comes with a fully illustrated jacket and an embossed canvas black hardcover inner book. It is printed on thick glossy paper and features a glued binding (printed and bound in Canada).
|the unfolded dust jacket|
|the glued binding|
As a DC deluxe edition this books share design similarities with the two other Batman deluxe editions I own (Batman Year One and The Killing Joke):
The inner book of The Last Crusade has plain black back cover, second and third of cover.
|second of cover|
This book reprints the original one shot comic (57 pages for the main part) published earlier in June 2016. In this edition the main part is (very shortly) introduced by Robert Rodriguez.
|Robert Rodriguez foreword|
I only own the digital edition of the original comics and therefore cannot assume that its paper counterpart shares the same content in terms of extras.
Here is the extra section content of this deluxe edition (16 pages):
- main virgin cover by John Romita Jr., Danny Miki & Dean White
- Frank Miller & Alex Sinclair variant cover for the original comic (also included in the original comic digital edition)
- Jim Lee & Alex Sinclair variant cover for the original comic (also included in the original comic digital edition)
- Lee Bermejo variant cover for the original comic (also included in the original comics digital edition)
- Bill Sienkiewicz variant cover for the original comic (also included in the original comics digital edition)
- Story plot by Miller, Azzarello & Romita Jr. (5 pages)
- "From pencils to colors" illustrations (6 pages)
|left hand side Jim Lee & Alex Sinclair, right hand side Lee Bermejo|
|left hand side Bill Sienkiewicz|
The book finishes with a short bios of the authors.