bannière

bannière

10/08/2012

Watchmen Graphitti Designs Limited Slipcase Hardcover

Script Alan Moore, art Dave Gibbons and John Higgins.





This book was published by DC Comics through Graphitti Designs in 1988. Note that numerous Internet sources reference this book as being printed in 1987, but there are two forewords written by the authors dated January 1988 inside, and my copy is a first print.

It is a faux leather hardcover reprint (with embossed smiley face on front) fitted in a black faux leather slipcase (probably priced 50$, no ISBN, 456 pages, 7 x 11 inches or 18cm x 28cm). I don't know what is the print run but some sources talk about 1000 copies. The book is printed on the same very thin low quality mat paper as the original comics (yellow pages) and with the same size (see below). Note that the bonus section is printed on a little more thicker mat white paper and there is a sewn in red ribbon bookmark.





Both second and third of cover are different illustrations. Each original comic book is reprinted here with its cover, back cover and additional contextual document (Under The Hood ..).







The end of the book featured 47 pages of extra material separated in two parts, 'minutes' (introduced by Alan Moore) and 'seconds' (post-face by Dave Gibbons). 'Minutes' started with Alan Moore's original proposal for the story, first with the Charlton characters, then with the Watchmen character revision illustrated by Dave Gibbons early visuals (21 pages overall).






The four following pages display excerpts form the original script alongside pencils thumbnails. Then 'minutes' ends with promotional artwork and cover sketches (2 pages).




'Seconds' is only 6 pages long displaying extra material like one of Zenda exclusive cover and portfolio. The books ends with a picture of the smiley face on Mars (©NASA).





Some Artist Proof edition including a signed bookplate have seen the light of days on the second market, :


Scott VanderPloeg gives more insight about this edition on his Comic Book Daily site here, and more pictures on Comicstrade there.

11 comments:

  1. Love your blog....thought you'd enjoy this, i met Dave Gibbons at at The London Comicon last weekend, and got him to sign my copy of this book.....25 years after I got Alan Moore to sign it! Talk about the long game!

    https://4.bp.blogspot.com/--PRGBkPUDhM/V0oGaoKm9JI/AAAAAAABDO0/fF0Ha5T4DQI2S2VWWgxvSFDQ7kMRUss9gCLcB/s1600/20160528_164505-1.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have met Moore and Gibbons 27 years ago in 1989 in France, but I wasn't aware of that edition (they have signed my French edition of Watchmen). Your book is priceless now! Me I still hope to put my hand on a A/P copy one day.

      Delete
    2. I must admit, until I saw your article I never knew the A/P editions even existed...I wonder where they all are? A 'standard' Gaphitti edition signed by both Alan and Dave is more than enough for me....to be honest, I never thought it would happen after all these years!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had 2 AP editions I now only have one. I have heard that fewer than 20 of these copies exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could put my hand on one oof these A/P edition one day...thanks for the info!

      Delete
  4. thank you for the detailed write up. i was trying to find info this as i have a copy. your description says it was printed on yellowish quality paper as i can attest to but your images show a more white quality to the paper. was this just an artifact from photos?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one. Not the signed edition. Are the solid black editions worth anything. Hard to find any for sale.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello. Do you mean the Absolute Edition? It is described in this website, in my own opinion the best edition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes. I have the exact copy you have posted here. I bought it in 88 when I was 16. I can honestly say it's in the same condition as the day I purchased.

    ReplyDelete

Write your comment here